Sunday, December 29, 2013

Flo-Rida Plays Silent Hill 2?

          Alright, so it's been a while since I posted something that's light-hearted... Probably the first time I will post something that's light-hearted.  Anyway, there was a song I overheard a while back that caught my attention.  Strangely, this was not anything alternative or thrash metal, but it was still catchy.  The lyrics were rather promiscuous and carried little meaning, but the guitar in the background was hypnotic.  The song was "Whistle" by Flo Rida.  Now I know what you're thinking: he's listening to modern music?!? NOOOOO!!! Not that filth!!  Well, in actuality, I was not listening to modern pop/hip-hop/crud.  That guitar was simply entrancing.  It gave me a weird feeling... What was it?... Oh yes! Memory! I remember hearing something similar in an entirely different medium.  As it turns out, the guitar introduction in "Whistle" is a sped-up, slightly altered riff of that in "Promise" from the Original Soundtrack in Silent Hill 2.  The main differences are tempo and the tone on the amplifier.  Really, check it out! I liked that riff so much because I heard it before and already associated enjoyment with it.  This begs the question: Did Flo-Rida rip off a video game?
          Foremost, the actual person that wrote "Whistle" could have heard it and decided to "sample", take the riff and change a few things.  Being from a not popular source where no one but yours truly would ever actually notice it, the producers decided it would not be a big deal to take it from Silent Hill 2 note for note.  OR, this could be completely coincidental (not likely).  Even if they did take it, so what?  There are two options: the original was so good, Flo-Rida had to remake it to show respect for the original; or modern music producers are lazy and not creative.  First of all, this riff IS worth putting into popular culture.  It carries emotion.  (Oh but its from a stupid game.)  Silent Hill 2 is a psychological horror video game that has one of the greatest story lines I have ever been exposed to.  This isn't about the game itself, but I will say the game concerns the elements of remorse, self-suffering, and psychological horror.  It is built around the premise of James Sunderland receiving a letter from his wife who has been dead for years.  It is scary.  It is sad.  It is a true tragedy.  "Promise" seems to captivate the game, and it leaves me speechless every time I hear it.  That is what "Whistle" must live up to.  Does it?  Well... read through the lyrics.  I won't contaminate this blog with them; so, that should give my opinion of the subject.  What about any of you?  Any defenders of Flo-Rida?  Anyone else know of any "sampled" songs?  Other ones by my definition of sampled include: "So Cold" by Breaking Benjamin from "Spiders" by System of a Down and (sigh) a Nickelback song from "Walk" by Pantera.  Leave a comment and have a great day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment